Translate

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

February 15--Remember the Maine Day!

Valentine and Ginkgoes, Quilt by Ann Fahl
For Valentine's Day we have lots of red and pink, mixed up with hearts and lace.  Time to put it all away because today is Remember the Maine Day.

My father would always put on his little rusty orange metal pin that he found in an antique shop, and tell everyone about Remember the Maine Day.  My two sisters and I would be rolling our eyes, this time every year, we always hoped he would forget to put it on!

Newspaper headlines

Now I feel the need to make February 15 a special day, not just the "let down" after all the Valentines and roses.  This is the day the USS Maine blew up in Havana Harbor, it started a war in 1898.  Now we know that the ship wasn't attacked, the explosion came from within the ship!
Wreckage after the explosion
Just in case you want to learn more about the Maine and how it all happened, here is a good link. And here is a another more current link.  This isn't quilt related at all, but it is a part of me and how I grew up!

I have been busy quilting a wonderful new piece, which is why there haven't been very many new posts lately.  Eventually, you will all learn about what I've been doing!

Have a great Maine day.

Ann Fahl

2 comments:

Joan said...

...a bit of history which I didn't know. Thanks for posting Ann. Joan from Michigan's Upper Peninsula

Maggie Szafranski said...

Feb 15 is my baby brother's birthday! I always remember Valentine's Day because when I came home from school, my mom was gone to the hospital, and my dad took me to my cousin's home to spend the few days that mom would be in the hospital. I was told to pack, and the only thing I packed were my tea sets. No clothes!